Thursday, June 10, 2010

Residential Life with the Summer Scholars

Residential Life with the Summer Scholars

Scott Hall was the first place where I began my summer journey. Residential life began with registration and a day at Carol Joy Holling Camp. Before orientation, I had known nobody from this group. So, I decided that I would try getting to know my counterparts. My first reaction would have been to be shy and just stand by, but I planned on taking this opportunity to get to know more people. Especially since I was so excited about belonging to this program, I wasn’t going to let the chance slip by.

At Carol Joy Holling Camp, my group just happened to be the last mini-group of the first big group to go up on the commitment course. In the commitment course there is a group of 5-7 people on an element/challenge at a height of either forty or fifty feet above ground. The idea of being that high in the air, hanging of a rope wasn’t terrifying until after I was already up there; I had actually been excited before I started. The point of the activity was to use our teammates as support instead of the ropes that kept us safe. We had to walk on thin metal wire like those you see on the electric poles on the side of the road (no electricity was involved during this activity). There were five elements at the height of forty feet above ground and there were another five elements for the fifty feet above elements. At the end of the course everyone went down the zip line. It took my group of five people four hours to complete the course. I cried a total of three times while on the course, but I did complete the entire course with the help of my teammates and their encouragement.

The next day, Saturday, we went once again to the Carol Joy Holling Camp and did the other activities available for us. I paddle-boated and went to the swimming pool after doing the individual high ropes course. I participated only in the beginning and I helped the facilitators the rest of the time. In the evening we hosted a dance party in which we were allowed to invite our friends from outside the program to have some fun with us. Sunday was pretty laid back mainly because many people went to church or spent time with their family. The free time that was available gave me time to catch up on my sleep, to clean my room and to do some leisurely reading. We also had an ice cream social and a movie night.

Monday: The big day had finally come. Everybody learned how to use a shuttle and where to go. I enjoyed my first day of class in both College 101 and Native American Studies. After class on the first day I accidentally went to the wrong place to wait for a shuttle to take me back to Scott Hall. I waited about half an hour before I figured out that I had to another place, but in the end all turned out well and I have learned to stay with the group instead of wondering off alone to explore and then getting lost.

Wednesday came around too soon; I wished that I could stay at Scott Hall with my new friends. Many felt the same way too, but we all have to go back home to our families. Fortunately, we will still continue to see each other every dayJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment