Wednesday, June 16, 2010

(: My First Week as a College Student :)

It was awesome, yet exhausting. What am I talking about? Well, of course, our first week as college students. The first three days we lived on campus; so first of all, I had to learn how to manage my sleeping habits and how to not get lost on campus. It was hard, knowing that you wanted to stay up at all hours of the night, but having to get up early in the morning to go to class. I managed to do whatever I had to do on time.

First Day of Class

As we all shuffled to get on the shuttle, I couldn’t wait to get to know more about the campus and to go see my classrooms and teachers, although I already knew two of them, Maria and Liz. First stop was College 101 in the CPACS building. It took a few minutes for us to get started with class. We had to organize binders, pass out papers, and get settled in our new surroundings. About forty-five minutes into class, we got started with first round of business that we needed to attend to. During this time, we did an activity that put us into our future, 10 years from now. This future we saw is going to be our present someday and that was the purpose of the activity. It brought out our dreams and turned them into goals that will now be our future. After this activity we went through our syllabus and got dismissed promptly at 10:30 am, so that we could find our classrooms.

Waiting…waiting…waiting … all the summer scholars that are in Native American Studies found themselves sitting in the hallway of the Arts and Sciences Building twenty minutes before class started. As I sat there thinking about many what ifs, such as what if the teacher is treacherous and assigns us forty pages to read on the first night with a quiz over it the next day. Relief struck me as I saw Sheila Rocha walk into the room introducing herself nonchalantly and giving the class a kind smile. We did get quiz, but it was more of a ‘let see what you know’ quiz than a 'you’re going to be graded on this!’ quiz. We went over the course syllabus and she only assigned two articles (not forty pages long each). I am honestly happy that I got a teacher like Mrs. Rocha. She is helpful, caring, and includes her students in the teaching process of this class through discussion.

Time Management

From the beginning, I have tried my hardest to leave a specific time frame, in which I dedicate myself solely to my homework. Whether on campus or at home, I feel that one of my challenges is dealing with time management. My goal is develop a healthy time schedule, in which I can do homework, chores, and whatever else life throws out at me.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

My classes have challenged me to think in new ways and to step up my game regarding time management. I love my college experience thus far and I hope to be well prepared for when the real thing comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment